The Beginnings

For the past 20 years I have worked as a children's nurse at Birmingham Children's Hospital. First on the intensive care unit, followed by the kidney ward and finally as part of the kidney dialysis team.


It was a job I loved and one that also gave me opportunities to do things I would otherwise neverhave done. When London held the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games I was a volunteer performer in a specially choreographed section for NHS staff entitled 'Second to the right and straight on t'il morning'. Being part of not only an Olympic Games but my country's home Olympic Games was a once in a lifetime opportunity. However, I was about to get the opportunity to do something else I never thought likely; a school ski trip.

Can anyone ski ?

I had been on a school ski trip before when at school but never as an adult, nor did I expect to go on one. It was whilst at work one day that I heard a company (aptly named The Ski Company) was looking for a nurse who could ski to go on a school ski trip with a child from Manchester Children’s Hospital. It was in March, to Crans Montana in Switzerland, fully paid for. I was immediately interested.

Planning

The next few months were full of planning and paperwork. I met Thomas and his mum Sarah at a motorway services. Moved house and changed job relocating to the beautiful North Yorkshire Coast.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ski Club of Great Britain

BASI or Ski Club of Great Britain ?

Take Two Part Two - Over and Out