Adaptive 1 or Alpine 2 ??

Image result for question mark emoji



Having obtained my BASI Alpine Level 1 and become a licensed ski instructor I needed to decide what to do next.

Adaptive skiing is something I am passionate about. The chance to help people with healthcare needs experience the same thing you and I do and feel the exhilaration of what it is like to ski is something very special and important to me.

After successfully completing my BASI Alpine Level 1 there were two choices; Adaptive Level 1 or Alpine Level 2.

Adaptive Level 1 would mean I would be better placed to help on the DSUK social ski groups that I go to and on the adaptive ski holidays that I volunteer on. Not only would I be able to increase my knowledge of adaptive equipment but I would also increase my knowledge of health problems and how to manage them in a ski environment whether that be indoor or outdoor. In addition it would also give me a ski instructor qualification in another discipline. Like my Alpine Level 1, Adaptive Level 1 courses run at indoor centres across the UK throughout the year over a period of 5 days. I would just need to book on one if I chose to do Adaptive Level 1 next.

Since the alpine discipline was my second discipline to adaptive I was not required to do any further alpine levels but having Alpine Level 2 would automatically entitle me to go straight to Adaptive Level 2 thus speeding up the adaptive training process.

Perhaps I could do both ? Perhaps I could do Adaptive Levels and Alpine Level 2 ?


Peak Leaders

BASI Ski Instructor training courses | Peak Leaders


Peak Leaders in Saas-Fee might not have any adaptive links but they are one of the first to have an Alpine Level 2 exam; usually in mid-November. This would mean I could do Alpine Level 2 and still go onto do adaptive the same winter with another provider.

Peak Leaders have been running training ski instructor training courses for nearly 20 years. The whole thing is run by BASI trainer and examiner Emma Cairns. Coaching is from a combination of BASI Level 4's and BASI examiners. The course gives you the unique possibility of completing a ski instructor qualification early in the season and then working the entire winter. I sent an email but got no response. It wouldn't be Alpine Level 2 with Peak Leaders that I would do next.

Snowsports Coach

Snowboard Coach Logo

I got in touch with Ash Newnes at Snowsports Coach in Arinsal. Not only do they have an adaptive ski school and offer adaptive exams but they also have an alpine program too. This meant that I could potentially do BASI Adaptive Levels and BASI Alpine Level 2 all in the same winter. Usually the Alpine Level 2 course ran first, immediately followed by Adaptive Level 2. I sent an email. Ash recommended that I do the Adaptive Level 1 in the UK prior and suggested doing it in August at Tamworth Snowdome when one of his team, Marcus Upton, would be delivering the course content. I could then go to Arinsal that winter and do both my Alpine Level 2 and Adaptive Level 2 back to back. As it happened, I was already booked on an Adaptive Level 1 course at Manchester ChillFactor in October. There was just one problem with this plan. If I failed my Alpine Level 2 I wouldn't want to stay on and do the Adaptive Level 2. Added in to the equation was the fact that the alpine examiner for level 2 was almost certainly going to be the same examiner who failed me on my original Alpine Level 1. No way was I having the same examiner fail me for both Alpine Levels 1 and 2. I would need another option.

First though I had my BASI Telemark to do.



Next:

Adaptive Level 1







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ski Club of Great Britain

BASI or Ski Club of Great Britain ?

Take Two Part Two - Over and Out